Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mal Pais - Santa Theresa - Playa Carmen

As we expected, the Burban did not acknowledge the infamously difficult road from Carillo to Mal Pais as any sort of challenge. We were ready for the worst, and never even shifted into 4. However easy, the drive was incredibly beautiful and we even scored another sand section.
IMG_2502
We passed a few tiny fishing villages surrounded in tropical green, some irritated bovines,
IMG_2480
and several severely wrecked river partiers
IMG_2479
The big diesel roared into Santa Theresa pretty late, so we raced between potential campsites only to settle on the lousiest one at Mal Pais Surf Camp. Uber pricey, shitty attitudes, and a steep grade for tent spots. To cap it off, I got beat in a best of five by Garen at ping pong. never again.
We had weird dreams that night, possibly because we slept next to this huge thing
IMG_2511
The next morning, we were packed up early enough to find a supremely better spot, and surf before the wind picked up. We caught the last two days of a 4 day 5ft swell period here, and the shapes were incredible.
Camping beside us were our friends from El Salvador, Trevor and Christina, from Idaho by way of Lake Tahoe. Fun, friendly people.
IMG_2537
Our new campsite was kick ass. Half the price, steps from the water, free power, and run by a nice family.
IMG_2518
We were a good twenty minutes walk from the nearest working break, but snorkeling and swimming were very accessible.
IMG_2534
Camper is pretty warm in this climate, and did a lot of sleeping. And some pretending.
IMG_2535
The swell dropped considerably after our first two days, so we hit the road again
A

1 comment:

Alima said...

Awesome pic... totally camper. Glad to see you guys are doing well! I'm at work... sitting at a desk in business-casual attire trying to keep my head up... forgot which city I was in... and that I'm no longer on vacation and took it upon myself to drink until the sun rose this morning... made me think of you! Give camper a hug for Sara and I... I will be in Cali in late June early July, hopefully. I'll let you know if I end up in your neighborhood!

xo
Alma